Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Layne

Layne Staley was a mastermind of our generation.  Arguably the greatest vocalist of all time.  Definitely one of my top five, if not my number one.  Now, I realize I should do a ton of research before I write about him.  Just like all the other bloggers do.   But, I decided to speak to you more from the heart.  I gotta tell you even though some people may decide not to read anymore because of this.  I feel Layne's pain even still today.  This man was a tortured soul.  He struggled with demons far beyond drug addiction or fame or anything you or I could understand.  The difference is he wrote about it.  He described his pain even if Jerry was the one writing a lot of the lyrics.  Layne said what he had to say through his voice not always his words.  Please don't be mistaken there is a lot in his words as well.  Just listen to "nutshell."  Some might say that he and Kurt were plagued by by the same disease.  The same inevitable doom of "selling out."  I'd say that Layne struggled with writing serious lyrics and writing what record companies told him would sell.  Of course these days most bands not all but most, bands would sell out.  But, the musicians of yesteryear felt differently.  Unfortunately we have all paid the price for their decision.    You have to understand that music like this is just not made any more.  Sad but true.  In future posts I will write about Layne a lot.  Maybe a lot more than you all care to read about.  This is to encourage you to learn more about the man, his music, his life.  I challenge all of you to search for artist you don't know much about.  I know for a  fact you will find something you like, something you didn't know.  And more than likely something that inspires you.    When you do I hope that you will all take a minute to pray for them and their families.  And also to take a minute to reflect on the pain they endured and the sacrifices they made to give you the gift of unforgettable music.

No comments:

Post a Comment